Sunday, July 28, 2013

Stephen Burrows: When Fashion Danced


I have been a friend of Stephen Burrows for many years and was delighted when I learned that he was getting a show at The Museum of the City of New York.


Unfortunately I could not make it to the opening party, who I heard had all the craziness of a night at Studio 54. The show closed on the 28 and I made it on the last day. I really will have been sorry to miss it.


Stephen Burrows: When Fashion Danced is the first major examination of the work of the designer The New York Times called in 1977 the “brightest star of American fashion.” It looks at the period spanning the 1970s when Stephen Burrows’s meteoric rise to fame made him not only the first African-American designer to gain international stature, but a celebrated fashion innovator whose work helped define the look of a generation.
 









With vibrant colors, metallic fabrics, and slinky silhouettes that clung to the body, Burrows’s danceable designs generated a vibrant look that was of a piece with the glamorous, liberated nightlife of the era.



















A bientôt,
Pierre Candra

Me with Stephen Burrows, September 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment